Drive time?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Donnalussier 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #12907
    Avatar hcook

    How far do you think a patient is willing to drive for outpatient infusions?

    #12934
    Avatar Jillb

    We had a patient that would drive 4 hours once a month to get infused st our center. We do have several that drive 45-60 minutes

    #12935

    How far do you think a patient is willing to drive for outpatient infusions?

    We had a patient that used to drive from Odessa, TX to Austin, TX (5-6 hour drive) to get her every 8 week infusion of Remicade. She had a daughter that lived in Austin and so the trip was a double bonus. That particular patient did not have good options where she lived.

    That is very much the exception, but when patients are faced with limited options, they will be willing to go the distance for a comfortable environment and most importantly, a caring and attentive group of infusion nurses.

    #13909

    Our Rheumatology practice services 2 states: NH and MA.

    Based upon the patient comments during infusion they prefer to not travel far, especially during inclement weather. I have had patients refuse to go to MA when no chair was available in NH because the distance was about 45min for them vs 15min. I would say about 30% of our patients feel this way. The remaining 70% would go to either; however, the majority of those 70% live about equal distance to either place and for as long as their insurance will allow them to cross the border, they will go.

    #14471

    How do you address the challenges faced by patients who need multi-day infusions, must travel to a site, and have concerns about the ability to afford to stay in that area?

    #14502

    Hi there,
    I can answer this question partly. First, whether it be a patient being discharged from the hospital or coming from a physician’s office, I would look into whether the patient can have infusions in the home first. This would address all 3 of your questions.

    A liaison in the hospital would communicate with the coordinator to check insurance and whether the patient would approve for home infusions. If so, a vascular line, (most often a PICC) would be placed and a liaison/nurse from the providing pharmacy would attempt to perform an introduction with the patient in the hospital and an abbreviated teach with them. Once the patient was home, a medication/supply delivery would be made to the home and a nurse would follow suit and arrive at the home around the next scheduled infusion time. The patient and/or family/caregiver would be taught how to administer the medication.

    If the patient is coming from a physician office, the office would contact the insurance company and the pharmacy. If approved, a delivery would be made and a nurse would arrive at the home around the next scheduled infusion time to perform teaching.

    There are certain infusions that Medicare will not approve of in the home care setting. In this case, the patient is often transferred to a rehab to finish out their course of infusions before going home. Insurance will cover the rehab for a certain number of weeks.

    Donna

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Thank you for your interest in NICA. We are eager to connect with you and to discuss the exciting work of increasing patient access to infusible and injectable therapies.

If you have questions or concerns, please send us an email and a member of our team will contact you shortly.

Sending

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account